Sunday, April 09, 2006

Jenny: Mare 2

My plan was to take the diner scene, the scene where Mare first sits down with her high school sweetheart to find out why he left prom night and never came back, and put in his POV because I need his POV in here. But I've tried for the hour now, and it's not going to work, at least not until I step back and reconceptualize this. Because as it's written now, and I like it, it's about Mare trying to cope with choices: She didn't have any and now she has three and she's trying not to get sucked into Crash's life again since he left her before.

Which made me realize that although I do need Crash's viewpoint, I need it in his VIEWPOINT, that is, it's not just that it has to be in his head and his voice, it has to be his story. Which means I have to know what his story is. I know the end of it, but I have to figure out how to introduce it, and I think that has to be in a scene that follows the diner scene, not the diner scene itself.

Which means I just blew an hour messing with a perfectly good scene, but at least we've learned something from this, Dorothy.

Argh.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It reminds me of Gross Pointe Blank, where the hero stood the heroine up on Prom Night and then has to go back for their ten-year reunion and explain why he left.
Maybe you should do some movie reviewing as part of your research? (Well, it's a good rationalization if nothing else.)

But keep going! I need good stuff to read.

Selfishly,
Mary
(no, the other Mary)

April 09, 2006 9:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Urgghh. Prom nights. I think there should be a six month statute of limitations for any mistakes people make on prom night. Jr. and Sr. Proms were highlights of my high school career, but that ain't saying much (-:.

Senior Skip could also be a moment of truth (-:. You know, after high school there aren't that many fraught, nearly-Pan-American, moments of truth. I never thought much about that before. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

April 10, 2006 1:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home