Saturday, March 25, 2006

JENNY: Mare & Magic

Eileen can't imagine somebody having paranormal powers without being Irish which pretty much leaves Swiss-German me out in the cold. This may explain why I'm trying to desperately to establish a scientific basis for what Mare does or at least how her power works. The whole paranormal thing is not a natural for me, although I love paranormal stories. The problem I see with writing the genre is that I try so hard to make sure the story is real--characters have strong motivations, no coincidences, cause and effect--that to say, "And then she turned into an owl" just makes the whole deal harder. Which is why I'm glad Eileen's sister is turning into the owl. I know transformation stories are older than the hills, I just have a tough time making them real in my head.

I also know that paranormal stories have to have laws and logic, that there have to be limits to the powers. So I'm looking at Mare who moves things with her mind, and I’m thinking, "How?" Does she move the air around the object so that it follows the vacuum? Does she push with her mind the way she would with her arms? Where does the extra effort to move heavy things come from, more concentration or a better understanding of the mechanics of her power? And what happens to the object when it gets moved? Are the molecules rearranged? Does it heat up? And if it does, why? The friction of the molecules, the heat from Mare's mind? It’s important because the way her power works is going to reflect who she is because who she is will have shaped how she uses her power and how she uses her power will have shaped her.

I’m really loving this book, though. So much fun.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The best "rational" explanation of telekinesis I've ever read was Stephen King's in Carrie. Made perfect sense and so allowed me to be pulled into the story.

March 26, 2006 8:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just pretend you are a sister on Charmed. They don't know how it happens either. It just does. Kind of like walking. Yeah, the knee bone is connected to the ankle bone and so forth, but what in the mind says "get up and walk"? Do you know? If the objective is to get across the room, and you do, do you care?

March 27, 2006 1:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the idea of the object heating up when pushed. If this is a paranormal romance, it goes without saying that certain body parts might get pushed . . .

I found you guys through PBW, by the way, and I'll be linking you. FYI, I'll be blogging on Bet Me tomorrow for Smart Bitches Day.

April 02, 2006 5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home